You might be forgetting what it’s like to enjoy the hustle and bustle of getting everyone ready and packed up to make a flight on time. That’s all about to end though, as the summer is looming, there’s a light at the end of the lockdown tunnel, and we’re all excited to get back out into the world. What better way to embrace the world again than getting your family together and heading to a perfect spot in the Greek Islands. There will be something for everybody to do: lavish beaches, adrenaline-inducing waterparks, vibrant restaurants, and plenty of ancient architecture to sink your teeth into. So, if you’re tired of hearing the words “I’m bored”, then keep on reading and get inspired for your next family destination.
Greece is a fantastic country of scattered islands, surrounded by the Aegean Sea, Mediterranean Sea, and the Ionian Sea. Just like every person is different, all of the Greek Islands are different and will account for anyone’s tastes, but with an estimated 227 inhabited islands (out of 6,000 islands) it can be quite overwhelming to choose one – but we’ve got your back, so don’t worry.
Not only is there a lot of choices, but the Greek Islands are easily accessible from the UK with both budget airlines and luxury airlines making the journey. FurtherMORE, as long as you are realistic (it’s going to cost you more than a caravan on the coast of England), you can make a holiday to Greece work on your chosen budget.
So, now you know why to choose Greece as your next holiday destination, let’s take a look at some of the Greek Islands and the best family resorts to choose from.
- Crete – we start our list here as it’s the perfect destination for those of you travelling with younger children. Being one of the largest Greek Islands, you won’t struggle to find things to do for the whole family. You don’t need to worry about an island rife with crime, as Crete is one of the safest. Check out the Lyttos Beach Hotel (Hersonissos) – a 150-acre family-friendly hotel located on the beach. This resort is kitted out for the whole family with its waterpark, home to slides for all ages. There is a whole range of activities including mini-golf, climbing walls, and outdoor playgrounds. If you’re looking for a fun-filled resort with your children in mind then look no further.
- Corfu – If you’re looking for a picturesque holiday then look no further. Nicknamed the Emerald Isle, owing to it being the greenest Greek Island, there are mountainous villages and quaint sandy shorelines. For scenery alone, there aren’t any other islands in Greece that can compete. Visit the Kontokali Bay Hotel and Spa – located 6km from Corfu town, this resort will be perfect for your family. Your kids can spend hours playing in their pools and making the most of the playground and playrooms. With a private beach that rarely gets crowded, it will make the perfect backdrop.
- Rhodes – one of the most visited Greek Islands and one of the most important historically important. Boasting The Old Town, the most preserved medieval settlement in the world could be reason alone to visit. Prince Andriana Resort & Spa – situated 100 meters from sandy beaches, with all amenities nearby, your family holiday will be off to a great start here. Your children will be entertained with an abundance of pools and playground equipment – as well as arranged activities by hotel staff. Further, if you adults need an escape, the resort boasts a childcare service.
- Mykonos – although this island is notorious for its boisterous nightlife, there is so much more to it than that. There is an abundance of quiet resorts that would be perfect for your family retreat. This Greek Island is the perfect stepping-stone for those of you with children not wanting to come on the family holiday anymore. The Mykonos Grand Hotel & Resort is located on the Agios Ioannis Beach; this small resort offers separate adults and children’s pools, as well as a childcare service if need be. Wake up to the beating sun and a beautiful panoramic view of the sea and Delos Island.
- Zante – this incredibly popular destination is a great pick for those of you wanting an action-packed holiday. There are several resorts to choose from that are all geared towards children – guaranteeing their holiday will be an adventure to remember. Check out the Hotel Petros (Tsilivi) – although this resort isn’t directly on the beach (10 minutes’ walk), it offers you childcare services, pools for children, and is in the heart of all the restaurants you could need. The Blue Flag awarded beach offers a range of watersports activities and is perfectly safe for your children.
Hopefully, at this point, you are feeling more informed on some of the most known Greek Islands and are looking forward to getting back out into the world. Now, we take a look at some of the best-value hotels, according to TripAdvisor, which are ideal for family holidays.
- Grand Beach – located in Mykonos, just 400m from the town, on the beach of Megali Ammos. This stylish hotel comes with everything you could need from a hotel – children’s pools, pool-bar, free high-speed Wi-Fi, and much more. This could be the ideal base for your getaway.
- Michelangelo Resort and Spa – situated on the Green Island of Kos, with jaw-dropping views of the Aegean Sea and a mesmerising infinity pool. The hotel offers a childcare service as well as putting on entertainment for little ones. A bonus if you have a dog to take, as they’re more than welcome as well.
- Atrium Platinum Luxury Resort Hotel & Spa – situated in Rhodes right on the beach, you can take in the awe-inducing views over the bay of Ixia. Sink yourself into a world of history and take a walk through the medieval Old Town, now declared as a World Heritage Site – only 3km away. You and your family will be spoilt for choice at this grand hotel.
For those of you that prioritise a life of luxury, don’t worry, Greece can provide that too. Here are some top picks.
- Ikos Olivia – located right on the beach, 45 minutes away from Thessaloniki International Airport, this luxury hotel boasts an experience much more than all-inclusive – dubbed “Infinite Lifestyles” The entire family will achieve their true holiday potential here.
- Ikos Dassia – located on the island of Corfu, this Mediterranean-style resort subscribes to the “Infinite Lifestyles” concept as well. With a staggering 8 restaurants, water sports facilities, and its very own open-air theatre, everyone will be able to have a holiday to truly remember.
- Sani Dunes – 47 minutes from Thessaloniki International Airport, this beachside resort offers a grown-up feel that would be ideal for children who may have grown up too fast. It also boasts a fantastic kids club so would suit those with younger children as well.
If you want to live the life of luxury, then it helps to know just what separates your average hotel and the luxury hotel. Here is a checklist of what to look out for.
- Smooth check-in and out procedures because no one wants to wait for luxury.
- Luxury hotels will treat you like royalty (you’ve paid for the pleasure after all), and therefore they should accommodate any request you should have.
- These hotel rooms should be equipped with a full range of technology, alongside a fully-stocked minibar, with a complimentary drink, and readily available information about the hotel activities.
- An expectation is that you should be able to dine in style, with an expert service that is better than 5*.
- Each “luxury” hotel must meet a required list of amenities and services.
The chances are that if you can think it, you can probably do it somewhere in the Greek Islands, although you may be a little hard-pressed to tackle winter sports on account of the beating sun.
- The children will never be telling you they are bored. With fun activities at most hotels, a range of excursions, beaches, and waterparks to explore.
- For those of you parents out there who like a good time, consider bringing the grandparents along, so you can make the most out of reliable childcare; leaving you to go and explore the many clubs and bars.
- For those who enjoy a little culture and history, you’re heading to the right place. Home to the ancient city of Athens and rife with references to the Greek gods, there should be more than enough historical action to fill your boots.
The Best Family Holidays In Greece
Now you know more about Greece and a handful of the Greek Islands, it’s time to turn the sunshine dreams into a reality and get booking your next family escape. Whether you need luxury or a simple base for a good night’s sleep, you’ll be able to find everything you could want in Greece.